West Basin’s Water Reliability 2020 program is designed to shift our future water supplies to more locally-controlled and reliable sources of water. Nothing is more reliable and sustainable for the planet than recycled water. West Basin’s state-of-the-art water recycling program produces five types of “designer” waters to specifically meet our customers’ needs.
- Irrigation Water: Sewer water that has been filtered and disinfected for industrial and irrigation use.
- Cooling Tower Water: Sewer water that has been processed to remove ammonia for industrial cooling tower use.
- Seawater Barrier and Groundwater Replenishment Water: Sewer water filtered by microfiltration and reverse osmosis membranes and disinfected for use in maintaining a barrier against seawater intrusion and augmenting local well water supplies.
- Low-Pressure Boiler Feed Water: Sewer water filtered by microfiltration and reverse osmosis membranes for use as low pressure boiler feed water.
- High-Pressure Boiler Feed Water: Sewer water filtered by microfiltration membranes and passed through reverse osmosis membranes twice for use as feed water for high pressure boilers.
See original article for more information on recycled water.